Protect yourself against cyber attacks! All about secure passwords and support options
According to a Forsa survey, many companies do not see themselves being able to continue working after a cyber attack. In order to minimise these risks, the BSI recommends using passwords that are as secure as possible. Certain criteria should be taken into account when selecting a new password:
7 tips for secure passwords
- Password length: The password should be as long as possible. The recommended minimum length is 8 to 10 characters.
- Diversity: Numbers, special characters and upper and lower case letters increase the security of the password.
- Neutrality: Birthdays, pets or company names do not make for good passwords. Ideally, there should be no reference to the user.
- No dictionary entries: The entire password should not consist of words found in a dictionary.
- No patterns: Repetition patterns or common sequences are not secure passwords. Numbers or letters that are next to each other on the keyboard, such as “qwer”, are also easy to decrypt.
- Complexity: You cannot turn a simple word into a secure password by simply adding a number after it. The password should be a complex mix of letters, special characters and numbers.
- A complex password is more important than regularly changing a password! While it makes sense to change passwords regularly, the BSI cautions that changing the password every six weeks often results in less complex passwords. Employees cannot remember complicated passwords well amid the constant change and are also tempted to store them in an insecure manner, such as in a written note on their desks.
Companies should regularly pass on these recommendations to users and systematically enforce certain password requirements. For example, the minimum password length, special characters and upper or lower case letters can be made mandatory. There is also the option to (temporarily) lock the account in the event of repeated login failures.
We are happy to support you!
PROMOS offers individual advice and support regarding system settings. We help you consistently implement the BSI guidelines in your company. If you have any questions or special requests, please contact us!
How to secure your SAP® systems: